Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Hanging Lake (Part Deux)

Back in April I posted about my first attempt at hiking Hanging Lake in Glenwood Springs, CO. I say attempt because, well, you can read about it here.

So I told you that Andy and I were heading back to Glenwood Springs for a weekend vacation/work trip in late April and were going to give the hike a whirl together. And, we did! Back in April! And I've just neglected to fill you in on the adventure. It's only appropriate that since I'm back in Glenwood for a day or two this week on my college fair recruiting trip that I post the part two of my Hanging Lake hike.




When I first attempted the two mile round-trip hike in late March, I only made it half-way in because of all the compressed snow on the trail. And what a difference a few weeks makes! I couldn't believe how clear the trail was in late April! I kept picturing the unconquerable terrain from weeks earlier when Andy and I were hiking, and I barely recognized it as the same path. For real. I'm not just saying that to make myself sound better.

Really, look at all that former snow melting.

As we ascended the hike, there was definitely more of the snow pack I remembered.

One thing I remembered from my previous time trying the hike remained the same: It had constant elevation gain, which means it's and lot of hiking up, up, and up. And even when the incline is subtle, when it's constant, you notice! Andy and I were both super winded most of the hike and mostly had an unspoken agreement to not engage in active conversation. We stopped every so often to "take in the views" (meaning, catch our breaths), but really it was lovely to fully see and appreciate our surroundings.





 

Goin up.

Like, a lot of goin up. Those are people on the trail down there, where I had just hiked.

But then, we made it. It's like a come around the corner and see Hanging Lake and it takes your breath away kinda moment. And it's not just because you've hiked for a while and you weren't expecting to have to work so hard for it. It's cuz it's just down right breath-taking!







There it is! Hanging Lake. Good workout, and the views are totally worth it. What do you think? Would you make the hike?

-Breanna

No comments: