Wednesday, July 16, 2014

A Summer Vacation Back in Maple Grove

One of the perks of my job is that, as an employee with a home office, I can essentially work from anywhere as long as I have my computer and phone, and don’t have any scheduled Colorado meetings. Every summer my parents throw a family golf tournament gathering in Minnesota for our extended family and it’s one of the few, perhaps only, times outside of Christmas that all the aunts, uncles, and cousins are in one place. The last few years I’ve had to unfortunately decline my invitation in lieu of travel to celebrate weddings, but this year was able to happily accept with a slower summer travel schedule.

I decided to drive the route back to Minneapolis, just me, my Passat, and the “Wild” book on CD by Cheryl Strayed. I broke up the 16ish hour drive by spending a night in Lincoln, NE with my dear friend from college, Laura. I don’t get to see her very often, and neither of us is rather good at staying in touch other than the occasional quick email or text, so I just love that we don’t miss a beat as we crack some beers and catch-up!


Back in Minnesota, the golf tournament was a blast. Well, I should rephrase that: Spending time with my family was a blast. I don’t golf, so I can’t really claim to know with any first hand experience that the golf part was fun, though the golfers seemed pretty pleased with the event when they returned from the course to my mom and dad’s place. My parents put on a nice grilling-out and catching-up event back at home in the afternoon including awards for the golfers and a bon fire. I spent the afternoon and evening doing exactly what I returned home to do: Catch up with my family members. (And, unfortunately, not take photos :o( )

I stayed the following week back in Minneapolis spending time with family, friends, and of course working from the comfort of my parents’ home :o) Highlights include, but are not limited to: Coffee with my sister, happy hours that spilled late into the night with my parents, canoeing on the lakes of Minneapolis, catching-up with all my high school ladies and meeting their babies, seeing friends from different times of my life and celebrating their life milestones of buying homes and expecting little babies I’m so grateful I had the extra time to be back and feel like, for just a little bit, that I was back in my childhood home and truly part of all the family and friend groups as I was able to enjoy the company of some of my favorite people and invites to events. And every time I’m back home I think about making these events more regular with a permanent move, but I still love the mountains and my life out here, so for now I’ll have to be satisfied with my temporary trip into the everyone’s lives.

Meg thinks I am a princess, so I got her crown.

 

Brenda holding Sarah's babe and Sarah holding Brenda's.

Look at those little sweeties :o)


Watching the beautiful bonfire, in the rain, from the shelter of the shed.


 
 

Andy flew into Minneapolis on Thursday night in anticipation of our Friday morning drive up to Duluth to spend the weekend with Ryan and Shanda, my brother and sister-in-law. I’ll give a separate update on that trip another time, but as a spoiler, it was awesome ;o)

 
I hope you’re having a great week!

-Breanna

No comments: