Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Recruiting in the Mountains

I travel to western Colorado a few times a year as part of my new job. My territory includes most of the mountain towns - Breckenridge, Vail, Aspen - and the western slope, as we call it out here. Last week was my first work trip out there. I was hoping to see more of the area through hiking or snowshoeing, but I worked pretty much all day everyday! I guess that's why it's called a work trip, huh?? The thing about the mountains, though, is that you don't really have to hike or snowshoe to see beautiful views; they're just right there. And, I think most of you will agree, the views are pretty dang spectacular, even from the road. During a snow storm.



Downtown Frisco, CO. Can you see the mountain in the picture? It's hiding in the snow, but it's there!

It was snowing like crazy as I was driving! Luckily I left about two hours prior to my first visit to make sure I didn't feel rushed, and I made it there exactly on time! My colleague was out at the same schools the prior week, and she got snowed in for a day when they closed down the roads back to Denver! So I guess I don't have anything to complain about. I visited a lot of high schools on my trip, and I really loved seeing how the schools are set-up; they are all so different! I visited one that was a bunch of house-like buildings on a small campus, another one that lets students paint murals on the inside walls, and a handful that are surrounded my mountains. I snapped a few photos here and there, but with young teens floating all around, I felt a tad like the creepy lady with the camera!



I found these banners encouraging students to embody their school mascot, a demon, ironic.



The Guidance Counselor's son is an Olympic athlete! We are in Aspen, folks.



For the majority of the week I stayed in Glenwood Springs, CO which is nestled in Glenwood Canyon. It's such a beautiful community! I could see Andy and I moving there some day when we've had enough of the city life. I stayed in a place I found on airbnb.com. I rented a room in the home of a very kind and extremely interesting woman, Ann. I loved having a kitchen to cook meals and a comfortable home to come back to. Ann's company was wonderful as well; we enjoyed a hike within the first hour of me arriving, cooked a meal together one of the nights, and had some great conversations. And check out the location of the house! I mean, is this real??




Look, Dad! A train!

Ann's super friendly and playful dog, Uley. He chased that stick all the way into the river and back...about a dozen times!

My room for the week. That bed was unbelievably comfortable.


The scenery's not too shabby at this new job, huh? Here's one last picture in case you need some convincing.


-Breanna

No comments: